Thursday, January 24, 2013

Time Management

The topic from the text this week that I found most interesting was time management. While this isn't necessarily an area I struggle in it seems to me an area in which all students have a lot of room for improvement. Hospital stays are getting shorter and more education and cares are often brought under the umbrella of the nurses responsibility. Two powerful tools that don't really come to mind when thinking about time management are deciding what not to do and learning to say no. These may seem like cop outs but in reality they are essential tools. In a fixed amount of time only so much can be done regardless of how efficient the nurse is, by deciding what wont be done beforehand the nurse can prioritize a few non-essential items and then revisit them if time remains at the end of the shift.

Time management for me really comes down to prioritizing and re-prioritizing each time new information is available. By planning my time even briefly before each task I can become more efficient each time I work. What do I need to do with this patient? How can I group cares? While these seem simple I have a feeling that a whole new level of time management will be required as we progress into the role of nursing. Its funny to me how difficult getting a large number of patients up and ready for the day seemed at first and with simple planning and prioritizing how easy it has become.





Huber, D. (2010). Leadership and Nursing Care3 Management. (4th ed). Saunders an Imprint of Elselvier Inc. Maryland Heights, MO

No comments:

Post a Comment